Monday, April 25, 2016

Occasional

I recently read City of Thorns by Ben Rawlence and it made a huge impression on me. I have thought about it in some way each day for weeks.

Last night I listened to the first part of The Ted Radio Hour show about Tolerance and how we need diversity. Acceptance of the other isn’t just a thing people do to be thought of as good or kind or open-minded. It is something we do to survive.

Unless our needs aren’t getting met and then we get all tribal.

I submitted a new poem to a contest today. This is the first time I have submitted anything anywhere since Andrew died. It is an occasional poem.

They are so challenging to write because basically you are writing for a group of people who are uncomfortable with poetry. The eventual audience for the winner wants the work to be funny and poignant and approachable and understandable.

Billy Collins or Mary Oliver I am not.

So I wrote something that made sense to me. The exercise was useful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home