Saturday, February 18, 2006

A Line of Poetry…

“A line of poetry written in a splash of blood…” says Yukio Mishima in the 1985 movie Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters by Paul Schrader which Andrew rented yesterday and watched a couple of times and then brought over here for me to watch.

If I wasn’t so tired right now I would probably have something more engaging to say other than I thought it good, interesting to look at and remarkably thoughtful. It even has some (minor) swordplay and one astonishingly beautiful sword.

I asked Andrew this morning what he liked best about the movie and much to my amazement and surprise he said the score by Philip Glass. Andrew normally has short unkind words to say about Glass’s work.

He was right about this one though, the score enhances the colorful sets and camera work and helps in the transitions between the black and white telling of Mishima’s younger life, the bold theatrical slips into parts of his novels and the connecting story of Mishima’s last day.

I found all the female characters troublesome and dark but Mishima’s world was pretty darn dark, My favorite scene was when he addressed the student protestors with his swagger, cigarettes and belief in tradition.

Such a complex and dramatic character beautifully realized with refreshing restraint. I’ll be thinking about this one for a good long while,

1 Comments:

Blogger Edmund Yeo said...

Ah well, speaking of Mishima, I've just posted a book review of Spring Snow. Really great stuff. Too bad the West doesn't seem to know that much about him. Hmm.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home