Sunday, September 16, 2007

With the Lid Off

The Rockrose Moon (A Serial Fiction) Part 39

Catch the vibes… About a year and a half ago I was sleeping over at some guys house that fashioned himself a film director.

He was wild about the director Michel Gondry. I believe Audrey may have mentioned him on the blog here before. Anyway, there was one music video I saw over there only once and have never forgotten. I had no idea who the artist was and as 13 years ago I was taking ballet classes and fending off my aunt’s first husband and getting over losing my parents I was out of touch with my own generation.

This video was made in 1994 and you can watch it here like I did, over and over again today. I just think the whole thing is brilliant.

About Lucas… He’s mixed like me.

“Born to Danish painter Berta Moltke and songwriter and Billboard music editor Paul Sécon, rapper Lucas began his musical career inauspiciously with the 1990 Uptown album To Rap My World Around You. Unsatisfied with the label's marketing of his music as teen-idol fare for adolescent girls and unwelcome after Uptown turned its attention to producing R&B aimed at the teen market, Lucas left the label and studied philosophy and creative writing at New York University and traveled in Europe to expose himself to other cultures. He eventually settled in London and in 1992 signed with Atlantic, for whom he recorded 1994's Lucacentric. The album incorporated elements of jazz and reggae, particularly the former, and featured the single "Lucas With the Lid Off." The accompanying video, which was shot in one continuous take while moving between several sets, garnered a fair amount of attention in England and soon America, and pushed the single onto the charts.”

The other thing I want to write about is the whole Joyce Hatto scam thing which you can listen about here on the New Yorker podcast.

I am subscribing to all kinds of podcasts on my iPod. Anyway, I ‘ll have to come back to write about that because it is actually raining and I must go walk in it. This is a requirement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home