Friday, January 20, 2006

I’ll Take Those Odds

Yesterday I had a job interview (rescheduled from Tuesday) with an architectural firm that inexplicably took most of the day. I guess it was all the preparation both in trying to present as relaxed an aspect as possible, which involved an intense morning workout on my Nordic Track, prepping by doing internet research, and then of course the physical preparation, curling my hair, the endless wait for the late bus…

I thought it went fairly well, but wasn’t sure.

The field of uncertainty is broad and ripe with capacity.

A few hours ago they called and and said they wanted me in next week for a second interview.

I was curious about what the statistics are for hiring at this stage and came up with the below from a career help website.

“Do pat yourself on the back for being called for a second interview. While some career experts say your chances are 1 in 4 to get the job at this point, others say you have as much as a 50 percent chance. Even with the field narrowing, it's important to distinguish yourself and ensure that you stand out above your competition.”

I’ll take those odds.

After the interview, and the rushing to the mailbox place to get a thank you card in the last mail pick-up, I went up to a friend’s house for a yoga date.

I’ve never done this before. Sure, I’ve dragged anyone that would consider the possibility to my classes with me, and I have recently gone with this friend to her studio for a few classes but this was just the two of us and our mats sequencing ourselves a practice while her two cats hung out in the kitchen an laughed at us.

We were both a little tentative. She was excited because she hasn’t been able to motivate herself to do a home practice on her own recently and while I am what Andrew calls a “Yoga Bunny” and practice on my own, to some degree every day (It so helps with those long sitting meditation sessions), I tend to isolate. This gets me out of the house and costs us nothing but time.

I am really looking forward to going through some of the sequences in Yoga Journal with her. They are fun to read but difficult to do on one's own. This will be an adventure for us both, I suspect.

Everything changes; it is just one big old world in flux out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home