Sunday, June 11, 2006

Beach Birds Quiz

I spent a chunk of time growing up on Southern California beaches and when I was really small I loved the sandpipers. I’d watch them for hours and hours. They were better than any toy.

Maybe that is why I so much loved Merce Cunningham’s Beach Birds. We saw it at Zellerbach Hall at Berkeley in the early 90’s. I’ve seen a great deal of live dance since but this piece still remains one of my Merce favorites (favourites).

Last month my brother-in-law and sister spent the weekend at the Oregon coast with his still relatively new Nikon. There is a group of shots of shore birds here.

You get a hundred bonus points and a free copy of my chapbook if you can properly identify the birds.

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a note unrelated to your current post, I wanted to ask about Elizabeth Domike's chapbook "Disenchantment." A friend just gave me a copy and I was really dazzled by it. I'm about to blog about it; I'd love to be able to offer a link where people can buy copies of the collection. Can you help me out?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Darius said...

If you ask me, they're all beach birds.

I used to love watching them too, off the Maine coast, as a kid at the beach. The little ones, whatever they were, would scamper along the water's edge in little bird-herds.

Jurassic Park hadn't come out, so there was nothing disturbing in this image...

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home